Cardiac Tissue Engineering
My research centers around using human engineered cardiac tissues (hECTS) derived from human induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) as a model for the human myocardium. These 3-D tissues allow for better predicting of clinical outcomes through testing in vitro as they more closely resemble human cells than animal models and more complexly replicate the human myocardium than 2-D models. These 3-D models have been used to test various stem cell therapies in the attempt to stimulate cardiac regeneration post myocardial infarction.
My reseach includes:
- Maintained and expanded: iPSCs, Mesenchymal Stem Cells, and Cardiac Progenitor Cells
- Differentiated iPSCs into cardiomycocytes.
- Fabricated 3-D human engineered cardiac tissues from iPSC-derived cardiomyocytes.
- Supplemented specific tissues with MSCs or CPCs depending on effect being studied.
- Used LabView to capture both spontaneous and electrically stimulated contractions of the tissues.
- Analyzed tissue function using Matlab.